Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Open Question

I want your opinion on something. Watch both of these videos real quick...



In theory they are very similar. Two groups of young folks making music in their native environment. Both bands heavy on the vocals, guitar driven pop/folk/rock. Even the video styles are quite derivative of each other. And yet I completly adore Pamplamoose and Nataly Dawn and Monsters of Folk bore the snot out of me. Its not a bad song. Musically its very well done, the gentlemen featured all seem very proficient on their instruments of choice. They sing well, and yet I dislike it.

Please, tell my why you think that is. Or why I'm wrong. Either one, you get to pick.

4 comments:

Melody said...

I can totally see what you are saying. I almost stopped listening to the first song halfway through. (but I have this need to do what I'm told and you said to watch them both)So I finished it. But I could listen to pomplamoose over and over. My opinion is Pomplamoose is not afraid to put some unexpected things into their song. You think you have the melody down when....Whamo, this turn happens you can't explain or an instrument, like a spatula being hit across the top of a chair, (it's in one of her songs. Betcha can't find it.) is used and you start to listen harder. We like order and sense... but we love to be surprised.
But maybe that's just me. :)

rebeldiamond said...

me no likey.

Chops McGee said...

I hate to say it Mels, but Cleos insightful and thought provoking comment put you childish diatribe to shame.

Thank you Cleo, I can always count on you to say something to make me think about the song in a way I never would have otherwise.

rebeldiamond said...

Thank you and have a freeeeeking fabulous day.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online