Sunday, February 15, 2009

And Now Here's Something We Hope You'll Really Like. . .

It's no secret that my wife's musical tastes and those of my own rarely overlap. She secretly has a "Crush" on David Archleta and I listen to bands whose blistering sonic blasts would set dainty David's ears a bleedin.

I spent my formative years weened in the New Wave and Alternative scene. During college my tastes continued to shift into the Punk arena where I currently set my tastes somewhere between hardcore/emocore/postcore and the pop-punkers currently dominating my scene. My favorite bands somehow manage to cross the divide as I ascribe to Bad Religion's Greg Graffin school of punk -- You can get away with anything, as long as you offer a decent melody. I like it loud, but I need a chorus, a bridge, and at least some modulation in the vocals. . .

So after and evening of the hippin' and the hoppin' I offer a bit of a palette cleanser: Underoath's Desperate Times, Deperate Measures.



Granted, I have no clue what this video is all about. Young boy goes down creepy hole, puts his hands in gunk, finds a punk band screaming, sees a creepy old man and a bird (who apparently spent too much time at changing spent rods at nuke plant), who then receives a jack-in-the-box that he opens only to be back in his bed.

I'm sure there is some tale of existential angst that is supposed to make me ponder on the cruelty and unfairness of the world. Mostly I just think that if I was that boy and I put my hand into bird droppings heading down the hole -- I would just turn around and go home at that point. Long before the creepy man.

But hey, it's all about the music -- and there Underoath delivers in spades.

8 comments:

rebeldiamond said...

yeah. I hate the screaming. I like me some funky crap, but this is too angry for moi.

FanStacia said...

Okay, Cleo was telling me about this on the phone and I was a little worried, but I am pleasantly surprised. I won't be revoking your author privileges after all. I'm not really into the screaming especially since I can't understand anything he's saying, but the dude singing has a fantastic voice. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. It all comes back to the voice for me.

cdahle said...

True art is rarely appreciated by the masses. . .

And if by exposing you to some great music I can have my permissions revoked. . .Sadness for this blog.

There are actually two vocalists here. Spencer Chamberlin is the loud screamer (dirty vocals) while Aaron Gellespie sings the melody (clean vocals) and plays the drums. Aaron has a side project called the Almost where he is the lead singer. Perhaps I will post some of that. Quieter.

Seems disco has more sway 'round these parts.

amberd. said...

I didn't mind this one too bad cdahle. I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more minus the heavy screamer guy. I'm not totally opposed to screamer dudes...I'm so in love with Hawthorne Heights screamer dude. But the Underoath is a wee bit too heavy for me in places. This song could be tolerated in the right moment I suppose. Just don't put it on when I'm grumpy. Danka!

rebeldiamond said...

I like the clean vocalist. The song, once I got past the screaming was decent.

That's all I got for you tonight, my friend.

FanStacia said...

Oh Sweet Hell!!! I am tired of people being mean to me for voicing an opinion. I said I liked it!!! I lik-ed it!!! Shoot!!!

rebeldiamond said...

they are being mean to me. Not you. Chill Ginger.... I can take it.

Chops McGee said...

I didn't want to say anything before I gave this a good run through. I took 6 listens but it's starting to grow on me. I really like the story in the video.

The weird bird thing pulls a box from inside the little boy. The boy goes on an epic journey to find it only to have it given back to him by "himself" as an old man. And when he opens it... it's empty.


"I pull my frail Body into a chair, and look me in the face
I'm disappointed, so disappointed"


Talk about kinda sad...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online