Monday, February 23, 2009

Manly Music... Late Monday.. kinda Tuesdayish

You thought I wasn't coming back, didn't you? I'll admit my ego was bruised and battered after last Mondays fiasco where poor Katie Todd was maligned and maltreated (and my masculinity was called into question). But I will not be defeated! Today I bring you Cold War Kids.







Nathan Willett (lead vocals, piano, guitar), Jonnie Russell (guitar, vocals, percussion), Matt Maust(bass guitar), and Matt Aveiro (drums) are from Fullerton CA and have been banging it out since 2004. They have a great classic LA garage band sound. Simple rhythms, strong guitar and no nonsense keyboard. Nathan manages to always sounds like he's right on the edge of screaming and somehow still belts out a great melody. The whole band has great energy and just seems so.... well, energetic.





Their newest release seems a little too slick and well produced and misses the raw funk of their first album. Hopefully they will get over their sophomore jinx and get back to throwin' down old school rock. This last one is my personal favorite and the song that gets queued up whenever I get by myself in the car. I open the sunroof, roll all the windows down and scream along. I'll treat you to the live version 'cause its the only place I can find this particular song and 'cause I think they just wail live. Cleo can attest that I am frequently disappointed by some band's live performances. Too many of them don't measure up to what you hear on the album after they have been run through the sound board. I think Cold War Kids are one of the exceptions that really shine when you strip them down.



2 comments:

FanStacia said...

That's what I'm talking about right there!!!! CHOPS IS REDEEMED. HE IS THE MANLIEST MAN ON THE PLANET OF MEN. HE IS THE JEAN LUC PICARD OF AMERICAN BALD MEN. HE IS THE STEVEN SEGAL OF MUSIC PICKING. HE IS THE CHUCK NORRIS, WELL, I DON'T KNOW, I JUST THOUGHT CHUCK NORRIS BELONGED ON THE LIST.

rebeldiamond said...

wow! I don't hate this!

It's a miracle!

It's true- Chops doesn't often think that bands perform well live. This is good, though. I must admit.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online